Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date
List pgsql-hackers

I know you said usually but:

> In fact, I'd say in most cases it's counterproductive because it forces
> a single tool upon everybody, instead of email which allows each person
> to pick their own favourite tool. Using a bugtracker where all
> discussion happens in email removes that downside, and moves it back to
> the state where it doesn't help but also doesn't hinder the communication.

This doesn't seem correct, roundup, debbugs, redmine, and rt all support
email as the primary form of communication.

> That would require people to actually use the bug form to submit the
> initial thread as well of course - which most developers don't do
> themselves today. But there is in itself nothing that prevents them from
> doing that, of course - other than a Small Amount Of Extra Work.

It requires using a tracker somewhere within the email chain which would
automatically assign an issue number to the email.

Sincerely,

JD