Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 09/30/2015 01:31 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 09/30/2015 12:02 AM, Jim Nasby wrote:
>
>> If people are hell-bent on every tool being separate then fine, but I
>> get the distinct impression that everyone is discarding GitLab out of
>> hand based on completely bogus information.
>
> Right, we need to stop thinking that every task is not interrelated.
> They all are. Although I am not a big fan of the gitlab idea but that
> is more out of ignorance of the software/service than anything else.
> My core focus on this discussion is to educate the -hackers that don't
> understand that all of this is related and to have a bug tracker, and
> a separate commitfest app, and a isolated git server that doesn't
> interact with any of them except through a commit message is broken.
>
> If we can come to a solution that properly links the processes
> together (without outright throwing them out the window), that is the
> best solution. A "bug" tracker doesn't do that. It just adds another
> piece. An issue tracker (as everything including this discussion is an
> issue) works because an issue can be classified and tracked for its
> purpose.

Frankly, an insistence on moving to some integrated solution is likely
to result in the adoption of nothing. And your "educating hackers who
don't understand" is more than a little patronizing. What makes you
think your experience in software development is better than others'?

cheers

andrew