Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date
Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 09/28/2015 03:40 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Now, running gitlab on community-owned hardware would potentially be an
>> option, if we find gitlab attractive from a functionality standpoint.
>> The question I'd have about that is whether it has a real development
>> community, or is open-source in name only.  If github did go belly up,
>> would we find ourselves maintaining the gitlab code all by ourselves?
>> That might not be the end of the world, but it wouldn't be a good use
>> of community time either.
>>
>> Fundamentally, we're playing the long game here.  We do not want to make
>> a choice of tools that we're going to regret ten years from now.
>
> We already made a similar choice some years ago when we started
> depending on the then-recently open sourced SourceForge code for
> pgFoundry.  That didn't turn out all that well in the long run.

I think we need to look at long standing FOSS projects with a large and
extended user base (Redmine, RT). Anything that is fairly community
specific (Debbugs) likely will cause more heartache than it is worth in
the long run.

JD