Re: Ubuntu installed postgresql password failure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Ubuntu installed postgresql password failure
Date
List pgsql-general
On 09/13/2015 01:57 PM, Dale Seaburg wrote:
> I have reached my wit's end.  lol  I installed postgresql (9.3.9) and
> pgadmin3 with the Ubuntu Software Center.  When using pgadmin or psql, I
> get an error "password authentication failed for user "postgres" ".
> Ubuntu (14.04.3).
>
> I created a postgres user BEFORE installing postgresql/pgadmin toolset.
> The password I used for the postgres user will not work with the
> installed postgresql tools.

I going to assume you mean you created a system user postgres with
password. That is not the same as the database user postgres, so the
password will not be valid.

What does your pg_hba.conf file show for the install?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com