Re: 9.5 beta pg_upgrade documentation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy Colson
Subject Re: 9.5 beta pg_upgrade documentation
Date
List pgsql-general
On 09/01/2015 07:00 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Sep  1, 2015 at 06:56:11PM -0500, Andy Colson wrote:
>>> I also added a mention that rsync, not pg_upgrade, will be run on the
>>> standbys.  You can see all the results of the patch here:
>>>
>>>     http://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/pgupgrade.html
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> Sweet, I'm glad I stopped where I did.  I think I'm safe to pick up at step f.  Which seemed to work ok.  But now we
getto step g (run rsync).  I checked the rsync manual and don't see anything like this three directory argument thing
youare trying to run.  Unless you want to use --link-dest.  In which case I think the cmd would be like:

>> rsync --archive --delete --hard-links --size-only --link-dest=old_pgdata new_pgdata remote_dir
>>
>> I'm gonna try this now, will report back.
>
> No, you are copying "old_pgdata and new_pgdata" to remote_dir.

Ohhh... I'll try again.  (The method above (run from the standby) doesn't work well at all).

-Andy