Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 09/01/2015 10:17 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 1:06 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> Any sharding solution worth bothering with will solve some or all of the
>> above by extending our ability to process requests across multiple
>> nodes.  Any solution which does not is merely an academic curiosity.
>
> I think the right solution to those problems is to attack them
> head-on.  Sharding solutions should cater to use cases where using all
> the resources of one machine isn't sufficient no matter how
> efficiently we do it.

As long as "all the resources" != "just IO", I'm completely on board
with that.  The reason I raised this is that the initial FDW-based
proposals pretty much scale IO and nothing else.

pg_shard also currently only scales IO, but they're working on that.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.