Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 09/01/2015 09:08 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 12:00 AM, Pavan Deolasee

>  From my point of view, and EnterpriseDB's point of view, anything that
> doesn't go into the core PostgreSQL distribution isn't really getting
> us where we need to be.  If there's code in XL that would be valuable
> to merge into core PostgreSQL, then let's do it.  If the code cannot
> be used but there are lessons we can learn that will make what does go
> into core PostgreSQL better, let's learn them.

I think that is pretty much anybody in the industry's point of view and
I agree with it. Although there is definitely an argument to be had
about whether it is a module or it is in core proper, no matter what it
should be a .Org project.

You are also correct on the replication statement. Replication should
have never been outside of core and I say that as the company that wrote
a replication solution that even Fortune 50 companies used.

I think that we should consider that there are very smart, very talented
engineers already devoting time to their respective communities (XL/XC)
that may very much enjoy being part of our community so we don't have to
reinvent the wheel, again.

JD