Re: Reformatting the FDW wiki page - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From damien clochard
Subject Re: Reformatting the FDW wiki page
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

Le 24/08/2015 13:13, Michael Banck a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 18.02.2015, 12:55 +0100 schrieb damien clochard:
>> Done :
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Foreign%20data%20wrappers?nocache=1
>
> One thing that would be useful to add: a feature matrix for "write
> support", "predicate push-down", "join push-down", "schema import" etc.
> I think the difference between a basic read-only FDW and one which
> implements all of the above (or more) is rather big.

I agree. Something like "production ready" or "stable" won't hurt either
because some FDW in the list are merely proof of concept, while others
can be used without hesitation

> Mentioning the maintainer wouldn't hurt either, but that might make the
> table even wider I guess.

yes that's one problem. Feature Matrix are a pain to write with a wiki
syntax (although mediawiki is not the worse). The more columns you add
to the matrix, the more difficult it is to maintain.

Now we could find a smarter way to organize these data. Like storing
them in a robust open source RDBMS for instance... I'm pretty sure we
have people able to do that around here :)

FTR my colleague Ronan Dunklau does something similar but only for the
multicorn-based FDW :

http://multicorn.readthedocs.org/en/latest/third-party-fdw.html

And the PGXN repository also has a list with some information
(maintainer, status, last release) but many FDW are not available on PGXN :

http://pgxn.org/tag/fdw/

Anyway the main problem is : how do you keep the data up-to-date ? I try
to maintain the wiki page once every few weeks but there's probably some
errors in it. The best approach is to let the maintainers update the
wiki page themselves and therefore I want to keep it as simple as possible.