Re: A table of magic constants - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: A table of magic constants
Date
List pgsql-general
On 07/11/2015 12:21 PM, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 11/07/2015 20:07, Dane Foster wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> As a recent convert to the Church of Postgres I've been consuming vast
>
> Welcome to the One True Faith! :-)
>
>> amounts of information on PostgreSQL, and SESSION_USER is not the first
>> nor only, what I'm calling magic constant, that I've seen. Off the top
>> of my head, other examples that I've encountered are CURRENT_USER and
>> CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.
>>
>> So my question is this, is there a reference table in the documentation
>> that I haven't found yet that lists all magic constants and their
>> meaning? And if not in the official documentation is it in the wiki?
>
> session_user, current_timestamp and current_user are all functions, not
> magic constants:
>
>    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/functions-datetime.html
>    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/functions-info.html
>
> I hope this helps,

To add to this. In the documentation section:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/index.html

there is a Search box where you can enter the word/phrase you are
looking for.

If all else fails there is the Index:

--
Adrian Klaver