Re: PostgreSQL Forks Timeline update (V3) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From damien clochard
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Forks Timeline update (V3)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

>> If you've found a mistake or if you think someone's missing on the
>> picture, please update the wiki page below because that's my primary
>> source of information.
>>
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_derived_databases
>
> Removed PostgreSQL For Solaris, since that was only a distribution.  If
> we start listing distributions, the list will grow intolerably large.

Agreed. Although I did mention some distributions in the timeline such
as Red Hat Database, Pervasive or EDB Postgres Plus. Even if these
distributions don't include additional features, they did a strong
rebranding : new name, sometimes new logo, new version numbers, etc.
Some distribution even remove any direct reference to PostgreSQL itself.
So in those case, I find it interesting to put them on the family tree
although there's no real change from a technical point of view...

However it's a thin line and a promise for endless debate :-) For
instance I'm not considering "Heroku Postgres" as a fork even if they
have a specific logo for it. I'm guessing that "Heroku Postgres" is the
name of their service, not the name of their software... But of course
with SaaS providers, the difference is always unclear :)