Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL Migration - Need Information - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL Migration - Need Information
Date
Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL Migration - Need Information  (William Dunn <dunnwjr@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 07/08/2015 12:47 PM, John McKown wrote:

> ​Why are they converting?
>
> Would EnterpriseDB (a commercial version of PostgreSQL which has
> extensions to make it a "drop in" replacement for Oracle) be a possibility?
> http://www.enterprisedb.com/solutions/oracle-compatibility-technology

Because EDB is expensive. Why go from one closed source solution to
another when you can go to the best Open Source database and forgo all
of that?

Yes, EDB has some nice tools (no denying that) but porting from Oracle
to PostgreSQL proper is not difficult in the least (although time
consuming).

Sincerely,

JD