Re: RFC: replace pg_stat_activity.waiting with something more descriptive - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: RFC: replace pg_stat_activity.waiting with something more descriptive
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 6/22/15 12:37 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> It's
> not my goal here to create some kind of a performance counter system,
> even though that would be valuable and could possibly be based on the
> same infrastructure, but rather just to create a very simple system
> that lets people know, without any developer tools, what is causing a
> backend that has accepted a query and not yet returned a result to be
> off-CPU rather than on-CPU.

Ilya Kosmodemiansky presented such a system at pgCon[1], and hopes to
submit an initial patch in the coming weeks. The general idea was to do
something similar to what you're describing (though, I believe even more
granular) and have a bgworker accumulating that information.

[1] http://www.pgcon.org/2015/schedule/events/809.en.html