Re: pg_stat_*_columns? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: pg_stat_*_columns?
Date
Re: pg_stat_*_columns?  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 6/8/15 3:26 PM, Joel Jacobson wrote:
> So I've heard from Magnus Hagander today IRL at our Stockholm PostgreSQL
> User Group meeting where we discussed this idea. He told me the overhead
> in the statistics collector is mainly when reading from it, not that
> much when writing to it.

I've heard enough stories of people moving the stats files to faster
storage that I'm not sure how true that really is...

> Magnus idea was to first optimize the collector to make it less of a
> problem to collect more data. Sounds like a good thing to do, but maybe
> more data in it wouldn't be a problem as long as you don't read too
> often from it?

The stats collector is a known problem under certain circumstances, so
improving it would probably be a good thing. The first thing that comes
to mind is splitting it into more files.