Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 06/05/2015 04:56 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
somewhere else.  At least not that I can see.

>> 4. Eliminate the EGO of saying "I have a contrib module in core"
>
> I've got multiple major features in core.  Any ego I may have about my
> PostgreSQL contributions is not based on pg_prewarm.

This was worded badly by me. This isn't about your ego, it is about the
mysticism surrounding the idea that "they have a feature in core". It is
really last on the list and not really important to this discussion.

>> 1. 15 years of the same argument (current source: pg_audit)
>
> The argument about pg_audit has little to do with contrib.  It is
> primarily about code quality, and secondarily about whether one
> committer can go do something unliterally when a long list of other
> committers and contributors have expressed doubts about it.

The argument was about whether it should be in contrib, code quality or
not. If contrib didn't exist and we accepted that extensions are an
outside core thing, the argument never would have happened.

JD