Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 06/04/2015 11:49 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On 06/04/2015 07:34 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>
>> I don't think it's very practical to talk about getting rid of contrib
>> when we reliably add to it in every release:
>
> Except, that is kind of the point. Why are we adding to it? Contrib
> (AFAICS) is all things that don't need to be in -core. That is the
> whole point of having extensions, is it not?

No. You keep getting this wrong. The fact that we have extensions
doesn't mean that we want to throw out everything that is an extension.
It's perfectly reasonable for us to maintain some ourselves, not least
as part of eating out own dog food.

And I say that as someone who has created and maintains quite a few
third party extensions.

cheers

andrew