Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 06/04/2015 10:34 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

> For what it's worth, I also don't particularly support renaming
> contrib.  I don't really see that it buys us enough to justify the
> hassle it will cause.  One thing that may be worth doing yet is
> separating the code that is just intended as a POC (like worker_spi,
> auth_delay and test_decoding) from the stuff that you are really
> intended to run in production (like tcn and hstore).  But that
> distinction is fuzzier than you might think, because while auth_delay
> was intended as a POC, I've subsequently heard rumors of it being used
> in production with satisfactory results.  It's very easy to get the
> idea that you know "what PostgreSQL users use" but usually that tends
> to mean "what I use" and the community is broad enough that those
> things are Not The Same.

The biggest problem is that packagers tend just to bundle contrib
together in one lump. If we could divide it into two, something like
"standard modules" and "misc", with the former being included with the
server package, I think that would be an advance, although packagers
might reasonably want to treat pgcrypto as a special case.

I'm also not in favor of booting packages wholesale out of core, for all
the good reasons you and others have advanced.

cheers

andrew