Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 05/31/2015 03:51 AM, David Steele wrote:
> On 5/30/15 8:38 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> I would argue Heikki's WAL stuff is a perfect case for releasing a
>>> public alpha/beta soon.  I'd love to test PgBackRest with an "official"
>>> 9.5dev build.  The PgBackRest test suite has lots of tests that run on
>>> versions 8.3+ and might well shake out any bugs that are lying around.
>>
>> You are right. Clone git, run it nightly automated and please, please
>> report anything you find. There is no reason for a tagged release for
>> that. Consider it a custom, purpose built, build-test farm.
>
> Sure - I can write code to do that.  But then why release a beta at all?

FWIW: we also carry "official" snapshots on the download site (
https://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/snapshot/dev/) that you could use if you
dont want git directly - those even receive some form of QA (for a
snapshot to be posted it is required to pass a full buildfarm run on the
buildbox).

Stefan