Re: date with month and year - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: date with month and year
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/21/2015 10:01 AM, Daniel Torres wrote:
> I everybody, I'm new in the Postgresql world, and have an easy question:
> Is it possible to have date type data that only contain month and year?,
> how can I obtain that from a timestamp (without time zone) column?
>
> I've made this, but I think the result is a text, not a date
>
> select extract (Year from '2001-05-01 20:21:00'::TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIME
> ZONE)||'-'|| extract(Month from '2001-05-01 20:21:00'::TIMESTAMP WITHOUT
> TIME ZONE);

date_part will get you what you want as will to_char. The above you
could cast if you needed. You really shouldn't use WITHOUT TIME ZONE.

JD

--
The most kicking donkey PostgreSQL Infrastructure company in existence.
The oldest, the most experienced, the consulting company to the stars.