Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Petr Jelinek
Subject Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 23/04/15 17:45, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 09:45:38AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>>> Right.  My point is that either you do X 2M times to maintain that fork
>>> and the overhead of the file existence, or you do one VACUUM FREEZE.  I
>>> am saying that 2M is a large number and adding all those X's might
>>> exceed the cost of a VACUUM FREEZE.
>>
>> I agree, but if we instead make this part of the visibility map
>> instead of a separate fork, the cost is much less.  It won't be any
>> more expensive to clear 2 consecutive bits any time a page is touched
>> than it is to clear 1.  The VM fork will be twice as large, but still
>> tiny.  And the fact that you'll have only half as many pages mapping
>> to the same VM page may even improve performance in some cases by
>> reducing contention.  Even when it reduces performance, I think the
>> impact will be so tiny as not to be worth caring about.
>
> Agreed, no extra file, and the same write volume as currently.  It would
> also match pg_clog, which uses two bits per transaction --- maybe we can
> reuse some of that code.

Yeah, this approach seems promising. We probably can't reuse code from
clog because the usage pattern is different (key for clog is xid, while
for visibility/freeze map ctid is used). But visibility map storage
layer is pretty simple so it should be easy to extend it for this use.

Services