Re: views much slower in 9.3 than 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: views much slower in 9.3 than 8.4
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 3/30/15 10:52 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Kevin Grittner<kgrittn@ymail.com>  writes:
>> >The 1% rule itself might be something to add to the R&D list.

> Perhaps.  But it does make for a significant difference in planner speed,
> and I would argue that any case where it really hurts is by definition
> a cost estimation failure somewhere else.

What I wish we had was some way to represent "confidence" in the
accuracy of a specific plan node, with the goal of avoiding plans that
cost out slightly cheaper but if we guessed wrong on something will blow
up spectacularly. Nested loops are an example; if you miscalculate
either of the sides by very much you can end up with a real mess unless
the rowcounts were already pretty trivial to begin with.