Re: suggestion: psql configs in .config - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: suggestion: psql configs in .config
Date
List pgsql-general
Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@gmail.com> writes:
> would it be possible to allow psql config files to reside in ~/.config/psql
> to help unclutter ~ obviously this should be some kind of cascading lookup
> first look for... e.g
> .config/psql/psqlrc
> .psqlrc

I'm finding it hard to see a compelling reason why that would be an
improvement.  It would make psql randomly different from 95% of the
other programs that have similar config files.  Or, if everybody
somehow got on board with "let's put config files in ~/.config/",
then there'd be clutter in that directory ... and we're back to
square one.

Also, this is the kind of thing where version-to-version changes
in behavior will be REALLY user-unfriendly.

            regards, tom lane