[DOCS] Terminology - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Jürgen Purtz
Subject [DOCS] Terminology
Date
List pgsql-docs
Within our documentation and related publications like presentations,
books, or training materials people do not use a consistent wording
concerning basic components or features of PostgreSQL. Different terms
rumours around for the same objective which is a confusing situation for
every beginner.

Therefore I suggest an additional chapter "Terms" after "Acronyms" to
establish exact definitions of all our basic terms. In the appendix you
find a first proposal. It reflects my understanding of the terms, my
personal favourites for deprecated terms, and in some cases new
definitions. If the community affirms the necessity of such a chapter,
we surely will have a lot of discussions about the range of terms and
their meaning. Therefore I actually use an easy editable format. After
we have defined this chapter, the documentation must be reviewed (over
time) to use exactly this notation.

Kind regards

Jürgen Purtz

Attachment