Re: MusicBrainz postgres performance issues - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Roxanne Reid-Bennett
Subject Re: MusicBrainz postgres performance issues
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 3/15/2015 6:54 AM, Robert Kaye wrote:
Hi!

We at MusicBrainz have been having trouble with our Postgres install for the past few days. I’ve collected all the relevant information here:

If anyone could provide tips, suggestions or other relevant advice for what to poke at next, we would love it.
Robert,

Wow - You've engaged the wizards indeed.

I haven't heard or seen anything that would answer my *second* question if faced with this (my first would have been "what changed")....

What is the database actually trying to do when it spikes?  e.g. what queries are running ?
Is there any pattern in the specific activity (exactly the same query, or same query different data, or even just same tables, and/or same users, same apps) when it spikes?

I know from experience that well behaved queries can stop being well behaved if underlying data changes

and for the experts... what would a corrupt index do to memory usage?

Roxanne