Re: proposed improvements to PostgreSQL license - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Camm Maguire
Subject Re: proposed improvements to PostgreSQL license
Date
Re: proposed improvements to PostgreSQL license
List pgsql-general
Greetings!

Ron Peterson <rpeterson@yellowbank.com> writes:

> Throw my response into the survey: my business would prefer GPL'd
> software.
>
> -Ron-

As would mine.  The major cost associated with any software project is
the migration/learning curve time.  Effective guarantees that this
time investment will have a long payoff period (i.e. there will be no
forced upgrades, mandatory incompatibilities, binary/linked library
legacy issues, proprietary usurpation, and disappearance of the
product altogether) are critical to the decision to begin putting
software into production.

As I see it, the only realistic objection to the GPL comes from those
who want to sell copies of the software, or software products based
upon it.  Most people in the "business community" have no such
interest, but just want to use postgresql to get their work done.  I'm
not saying that a commercial interest in selling software is
illegitimate.  I'm just saying that we ought to call a spade a spade,
and recognize that turning away from the GPL is in the interest of
(some) developers, not the customers/end users.

Thank you all for your work on postgreSQL!

--
Camm Maguire                             camm@enhanced.com