Re: Weird spikes in delay for async streaming replication on 9.1 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From John Scalia
Subject Re: Weird spikes in delay for async streaming replication on 9.1
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 2/26/2015 10:44 AM, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 10:40:31 -0500
> John Scalia <jayknowsunix@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Apologies, David, but as I don't check this list very often, I
>> thought you should have received an answer. Have you tried watching
>> the transaction with tcpdump or wireshark?
> Yes.  Haven't observed anything unusual.
>
>> To me this sounds like either a network problem or like you're
>> thinking a contention problem.
> It is not a network problem; we monitor the link between sites.  And it
> happens absolutely regularly, like clockwork, when we run our nightly
> pg_dump on the master.
>
>> Also, are you running streaming replication? If so, there
>> shouldn't be ANY delay as the standby gets the commit before the
>> primary. Otherwise, how are you replicating? -- Jay
> We are running asynchronous streaming replication.

OK, if it's asynchronous, is your script checking that primary isn't holding up closing out and transmitting the latest
WALsegment during these times? And if the Standby really
needs to be up to date, why not try synchronous replication?