Re: Partitioning WIP patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Partitioning WIP patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/25/15 7:24 PM, Amit Langote wrote:
>> >Does ALTER TABLE parent_monthly_xxxxx_201401 ADD COLUMN foo still
>> >operate the same as today? I'd like to see us continue to support that,
>> >but perhaps it would be wise to not paint ourselves into that corner
>> >just yet.
> Nothing prevents that from working, at least at the moment.

Ok, but is that what we really want? If we release it that way we'll be
stuck with it forever.

I would certainly prefer that we support the capabilities of inheritance
along with partitioning (because in some cases you want both). But it's
going to limit what we can do internally.