Re: Manipulating complex types as non-contiguous structures in-memory - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Manipulating complex types as non-contiguous structures in-memory
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/10/15 5:19 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com> writes:
>> Without having read the patch, I think this is great. I've been wishing
>> for something like this while working on my variant data type.
>
>> Are there any cases where we would want to use this on a non-variant?
>> Perhaps types where we're paying an alignment penalty?
>
> What do you mean by non-variant?

Ugh, sorry, brainfart. I meant to say non-varlena.

I can't think of any non-varlena types we'd want this for, but maybe
someone else can think of a case. If there is a use-case I wouldn't
handle it with this patch, but we'd want to consider it...