Re: hugepage configuration for V.9.4.0 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Michael Heaney
Subject Re: hugepage configuration for V.9.4.0
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 1/29/2015 12:54 PM, John Scalia wrote:
> I'm certain that I'm no expert for this one, as I've never had to configure this parameter for anything prior, but I
continueto get a startup error when I try to use this. The
> server is a VM running CentOS 6.5 with 4 Gb allocated to it. When I started setting "huge_pages = on", the server
reported:

> %FATAL: could not map anonymous shared memory: Cannot allocate memory
> %HINT: this error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared memory segment exceeded available memory, swap
space,or huge pages. To reduce the request size (currently
> 1124876288 bytes), reduce PostgreSQL's shared memory usage, perhaps by reducing shared_buffers or max_connections.

More good information here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/kernel-resources.html#LINUX-HUGE-PAGES

I don't think huge pages is going to make much of a difference for a 4GB
server, though.

--
Michael Heaney
JCVI