Alternatives to a unique indexes with NULL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Hicks
Subject Alternatives to a unique indexes with NULL
Date
Re: Alternatives to a unique indexes with NULL
List pgsql-general
All,

I have a Rails application on 9.3 in which I want to enforce a unique
index on a set of fields, one of which includes a NULL-able column.

According to
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/indexes-unique.html, btree
indexes can't handle uniqueness on NULL columns, so I'm looking for
another way to achieve what I need.

My initial thought is to replace the null with a single space (it's a
character varying(1) column), which will require some changes to
application code, but result in a cleaner process than the application
enforcing the uniqueness constraint.

Is there a better or cleaner way to do what I want?

Peter