Re: Indexing large table of coordinates with GiST - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: Indexing large table of coordinates with GiST
Date
List pgsql-general
On 01/15/2015 05:44 AM, Daniel Begin wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to create an index on coordinates (geography type) over a
large table (4.5 billion records) using GiST...

CREATE INDEX nodes_geom_idx ON nodes USING gist (geom);

The command ran for 5 days until my computer stops because a power outage!
Before restarting the index creation, I am asking the community if there are
ways to shorten the time it took the first time :-)

Any idea?

Daniel

Daniel could you please supply the server hardware (cpu and storage) you're using for this data.  I have a similar number of records and would like to know what it takes to handle such load.

TIA