Re: Stuck trying to backup large database - best practice? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Stuck trying to backup large database - best practice?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 01/12/2015 08:40 AM, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 6:23 PM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>> On 01/12/2015 08:10 AM, Antony Gelberg wrote:
>>>
>>> <some snippage>

>>> Okay.  We simply understood that it took too long.  Clearly we have a
>>> lot to learn about WAL and its intricacies.
>>

>> See here:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/wal.html
>>

> Of course we read the docs before asking here, but really learning
> about a subject comes with time.  :)

>>> No, we just want to be able to restore our data at a later point.  (As
>>> as secondary point, it's not that clear to me why it would be useful
>>> to have both, I'd be interested for some insight.)
>>

>> Seems you may be better served by pg_dump:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/app-pgdump.html
>>
>> pg_basebackup has additional features which in your case are creating
>> issues. pg_dump on the other hand is pretty much a straight forward data
>> dump and if you use -Fc you get compression.
>
> So I should clarify - we want to be able to get back to the same point
> as we would once the WAL was applied.  If we were to use pg_dump,
> would we lose out in any way?

pg_dump does not save WALs, so it would not work for that purpose.

  Appreciate insight as to how
> pg_basebackup is scuppering things.

 From original post it is not entirely clear whether you are using the
-X or -x options. The command you show does not have them, but you
mention -Xs. In any case it seems wal_keep_segments will need to be
bumped up to keep WAL segments around that are being recycled during the
backup process. How much will depend on a determination of fast Postgres
is using/recycling log segments?  Looking at the turnover in the pg_xlog
directory would be a start.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2596624/how-do-you-find-the-disk-size-of-a-postgres-postgresql-table-and-its-indexes,

--
Adrian Klaver