Re: postgresql versus riak for a global exchange - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy Colson
Subject Re: postgresql versus riak for a global exchange
Date
List pgsql-general
On 1/5/2015 10:37 AM, xu xiut wrote:
> Hello, I am looking at creating a toy project which may turn into an
> actual business if I'm lucky, the ideal is generally just an exchange
> for people to trade some type of asset.
>
> I'm looking at using either PostgreSQL or Riak, and I'm wondering if
> there are opinions and suggestions that someone would be willing to
> share with me when evaluating databases.
>
> This is the first time I've actually considered something besides
> PostgreSQL. Riak 2.0 now offers strong consistency and I really respect
> the community and the work that has gone into the project. It seems like
> it would be easy to replicate across multiple data centers.
>
> Thanks for letting me ask this here!

Never used Riak, no idea.  BUT it would be awesome if you did it in both
and could post a comparison.  It would be neat to see plus/minus lists
for the db's.

Your question is pretty light on details: "Trade some type of asset".

I'd be curious to see your layouts for both systems.  Also the query
types you think you'll need.  (One spot Riak might have a problem is
eventual consistency.  If you only have 1 more foo, and two people post
buy requests, will Riak sell more than one?)

Riak seems to support distribution, replication, fail over, scale out,
etc.  In the sense that Riak is using those words, PG doesn't have all
that stuff.

-Andy