Re: can you please share sample Postgres config file to enable max logging with syslog support? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Crawford
Subject Re: can you please share sample Postgres config file to enable max logging with syslog support?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/18/2014 09:00 PM, M Tarkeshwar Rao wrote:

Hello friends,

can you please share sample Postgres config file to enable max logging with syslog support?

Actually we are facing some issues. We need to enable maximum logging.

The "# ERROR REPORTING AND LOGGING" section in postgresql.conf fairly self-explanatory and commented. To get started just do the following:

Route to syslog:
log_destination = 'syslog'
syslog_facility = 'LOCAL2'
syslog_ident = 'postgres'

(Set facility and ident as appropriate for your syslogging.)

To log all statements:
log_min_duration_statement = 0

There are a number of other things you can log (connections, disconnections, checkpoints, ...) as well as some tweaks you can make to the log formats but it's all laid out in a reasonably straightforward way in the config file.

If you described the issues you are facing the community could offer better advice on what information to capture and possible solutions. The PostgreSQL log is not your only source of troubleshooting information. SAR and other sources of system information can be important as well.

Cheers,
Steve