Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/16/2014 04:34 AM, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com
> <mailto:amit.kapila16@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Amit Kapila
> <amit.kapila16@gmail.com <mailto:amit.kapila16@gmail.com>> wrote:
> missed

> I'm not
> readability
> > > >

> > > I will look into this and see what best can be done.
> > >

> > I have chosen #3 (Make pg_basebackup check for and fail on symlinks
> > containing characters (currently newline only) it can't handle) from the
> > different options suggested by Tom.  This keeps the format same as
> > previous and human readable.
> >

> Actually, here instead of an error a warning is issued and that particular
> path (containing new line) will be skipped.  This is similar to what
> is already done for the cases when there is any problem in reading
> link paths.

I'm not clear why human readability is the major criterion here. As for
that, it will be quite difficult for a human to distinguish a name with
a space at the end from one without. I really think a simple encoding
scheme would be much the best. For normal cases it will preserve
readability completely, and for special cases it will preserve lack of
any ambiguity.

cheers

andrew