Re: moving from contrib to bin - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: moving from contrib to bin
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/08/2014 07:50 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Last time this was attempted, the discussion got lost in exactly which
>> extensions are worthy enough to be considered official or something like
>> that.  I want to dodge that here by starting at the opposite end:
>> 1. move programs to src/bin/
>
>> Here are the contrib programs:
>
>> oid2name
>> pg_archivecleanup
>> pg_standby
>> pg_test_fsync
>> pg_test_timing
>> pg_upgrade
>> pg_xlogdump
>> pgbench
>> vacuumlo
>
>> The proposal would basically be to mv contrib/$x src/bin/$x and also
>> move the reference pages in the documentation.
>
> Personally, I'm good with moving pg_archivecleanup, pg_standby,
> pg_upgrade, pg_xlogdump, and pgbench this way.  (Although wasn't there
> just some discussion about pg_standby being obsolete?  If so, shouldn't
> we remove it instead of promoting it?)  As for the others:

Let's not forget pg_upgrade which is arguably the most important of
everything listed.

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, @cmdpromptinc
"If we send our children to Caesar for their education, we should             not be surprised when they come back as
Romans."