Re: Tuning the configuration - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Tuning the configuration
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 12/12/14 11:36, Eric Pierce wrote:

> [...]
100%write workload is one of them.   I've worked with everything from local disk to high-end SAN and even at the high
endwe've always put any DB logs on spinning disk.  RAID1 is generally sufficient.  SSD is king for read heavy random
I/Oworkload.

Mind you wal is a little different - the limiting factor is (usually)
not raw sequential speed but fsync latency. These days a modern SSD has
fsync response pretty much equal to that of a card with BBU + spinners -
and has "more" high speed storage available (cards usually have only a
1G or so of RAM on them).

regards

Mark