Re: Commitfest problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Commitfest problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/11/2014 09:02 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On 12/11/14 1:35 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> While the commitfest process hasn't changed much and was very successful
>>> in the first few years, a few things have changed externally:
>>>
>>> 1  more new developers involved in contributing small patches
>>> 2  more full-time developers creating big patches
>>> 3  increased time demands on experienced Postgres developers
>
>> The number of patches registered in the commit fests hasn't actually
>> changed over the years.  It has always fluctuated between 50 and 100,
>> depending on the point of the release cycle.  So I don't think (1) is
>> necessarily the problem.

I don't think that's accurate.  The number of patches per CF *has* edged
upwards by 10-30% per CF over the years:

http://www.databasesoup.com/2013/08/94-commitfest-1-wrap-up.html

(I haven't done the rest of 9.4 yet or 9.5)

No, it's not a jump up by 2X, but it is an upwards trend.  And I think
that Tom has it right that the additional patches we're seeing are
additional large, complex patches.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.