Re: Tuning the configuration - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrea Suisani
Subject Re: Tuning the configuration
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 12/11/2014 01:11 PM, Evgeniy Shishkin wrote:

>> On 11 Dec 2014, at 15:02, Andrea Suisani <sickpig@opinioni.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 12/10/2014 11:44 AM, Maila Fatticcioni wrote:
>>> 2- I would like to use the two SDD to store the wal file. Do you think
>>> it is useful or how should I use them?
>>
>> I definitely would give it a try.
>>

> I don't understand the logic behind using drives,
> which are best for random io, for sequent io workloads.
>
> Better use 10k sas with BBU raid for wal, money wise.

Well since Malia had already used the 4 sas hd for the DB,
I thought that it'd be quite quick to setup a raid1 array
(even at software level, e.g. using md), placing pg_xlog
in such array and measure the performance.

As a following step, depending on the time constraints involved,
Malia could rearrange the disk setup enterly and use the SAS
disks as location for pg_xlog.

Andrea