Re: Re: Remote PostgreSQL database - C/C++ program / Unix / Required Libraries - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Re: Remote PostgreSQL database - C/C++ program / Unix / Required Libraries
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/30/2014 2:03 PM, Léa Massiot wrote:
> I actually asked the question out of curiosity.
> (And also because I was working on a machine with no PostgreSQL installed. I
> was wondering if I had to install a whole PostgreSQL system or not).

In the RH/CentOS/Fedora world, you CAN install just the runtime
libraries and -devel packages (postgresqlXY-libs and -devel) to do C
programming.   I'm not sure if the debian/ubuntu packages have the same
granularity.

the 'whole postgres system' is really rather compact.   a client-only
user could well need not only the runtime library libpq.so and
associated .h files, but also need pg_config, psql, pg_dump,
pg_restore...   about the only parts a client-only user wouldn't use
would be the actual server 'postgres', and pg_ctl, these files combined
are just a few megabytes.

the full install of everything including contributed libraries is 34MB
on my CentOS 6 64bit server....