Re: Best filesystem for a high load db - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Maila Fatticcioni
Subject Re: Best filesystem for a high load db
Date
List pgsql-general

On 11/25/2014 05:54 PM, Bill Moran wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 17:27:18 +0100 Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Re: Bill Moran 2014-11-25
>> <20141125111630.d05d58a9eb083c7cf80ed9f8@potentialtech.com>
>>> Anything with a journal is a performance problem. PostgreSQL
>>> effectivly does its own journalling with the WAL logs. That's
>>> not to say that there's no value to crash recovery to having a
>>> journalling filesystem, but it's just to say that our
>>> experience showed journaling filesystems to be slower. That
>>> rules out ext4, unless you disable the journal. I seem to
>>> remember ext4 with journalling disabled being one of the faster
>>> filesystems, but I could be remembering wrong.
>>
>> If you are using a non-journalling FS, you'll be waiting for a
>> full fsck after a system crash. Not sure that's an improvement.
>
> It's an improvement if: a) You're investing in high-quality
> hardware, so the chance of a system crash is very low. b) The
> database is replicated, so your plan in the event of a primary
> crash is to fail over to the backup anyway.
>
> If both of those are in place (as they were at my previous job)
> then the time it takes to fsck isn't an issue, and taking action
> that causes the database to run faster when nothing is wrong can be
> considered.
>
> Obviously, the OP needs to assess the specific needs of the product
> in question. Your point is very valid, and I'm glad you brought it
> up (as a lot of people forget about it) but sometimes it's not the
> most important factor.

Thank you a lot to have shared with me your experiences.
Indeed we will have two servers in cluster with high quality hardware
so a fsck restore shouldn't be a big problem.
I will analize the xfs option as well and then I will decide.

Thank you again,
Maila Fatticcioni

- --
                        Maila Fatticcioni
         Mediterranean Broadband Infrastructure s.r.l.
                 via Francesco Squartini n°7
               56121 Ospedaletto (PI) - ITALY
  Phone:   +39(050)3870851           Fax:   +39(050)3870809