Re: returning only part of a rule set - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Potts
Subject Re: returning only part of a rule set
Date
List pgsql-general
On 25/11/14 21:36, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 11/25/2014 01:27 PM, Dave Potts wrote:
>> I have a psql function that make a general sql query, returns a set of
>> results
>>

>> Q.  Is there anyway that I can limit the size of the result sets ?
>
> Put a LIMIT on the query.
>
> If that is not what you want then we will need to see the code and/or
> get a more detailed explanation of where you want the limiting to occur.
I tried that Limit applies to the  total number of results from a
query,  what I want to do is limit the total number of returns per
result set,

For example  if my query returns a set of items such as   id, foo,bar

Normally the result set is 3 set of records one with 3 entries, one with
2 entires and one with entry, the results would be.

1 xx,yy
2 xx,yy
3 xx,yy

1,dd,zz
2,dd,zz

1, ee,ff

If I am only interested in get 2 entries per result set,  I would expect
to see

1 xx,yy
2 xx,yy

1,dd,zz
2,dd,zz

1, ee,ff

Using LIMIT only gives
1 xx,yy
2 xx,yy

Sorry for not explaining it very,  I want to limit the size of an
inviduail set of records which is part of set of records.