Re: no test programs in contrib - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Petr Jelinek
Subject Re: no test programs in contrib
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 24/11/14 14:49, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I'm now contemplating the addition on a new one in the commit-timestamps
> patch, and I'm starting to feel that these are all misplaced.  I think
> we have been dumping them to contrib not because they really belong
> there, but because of the lack of a better place.  As opposed to the
> rest of the stuff in contrib/, they don't serve any useful purpose on
> themselves; they are just demonstrating some coding techniques, or
> testing that some framework work as intended.  It seems impolite to
> continue to pollute contrib with these; and my crystal ball says they
> will continue to grow much more rapidly than normal, useful contrib
> modules.

Completely agree.

> What would you say if we were to move them to src/test/?  I could also
> see putting them in a brand new top-level directory, say testing/ or
> testprg/.
>
> Now, I know there is some resistance to the idea of moving source code
> around.  If this proposal is objected to, would people object the idea
> of putting the commit timestamp test module in src/test/commit_ts
> instead of the patch author's proposal, contrib/test_committs?

I'd go for src/test, but I think common subdirectory there is needed
(src/test/<something>/commit_ts). Not sure what the <something> could
be, maybe something like "standalone" as those tests get their own pg
instance?

Services