Re: About the tps explanation of pgbench, please help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: About the tps explanation of pgbench, please help
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/18/2014 05:53 PM, Yanrui Hu wrote:
> Adrian,
> I saw that in two case, one is 54502 transactions and the other is 13966
> but that is caused by capacity decrease.
> And fps is transaction per second, so it's not the transactions but
> transaction per second, so I don't think the total transactions
> different has any problem.
> Please point if my understanding is not correct.

Alright

If:

kph = kilometer per hour = kilometer/hour

100 km/1 hr = 100 km/hr

200 km/1 hr = 200 km/hr

If you cover 100 km in 1 hour you have an average rate of speed of 100
km/hr if you cover 200 km in 1 hour your average rate of speed is 200 km/hr

then

tps = transactions per second = transactions/sec

54502 transactions/600 sec = 90.84 transactions/sec

13966 transactions/600 sec = 23.28 transactions/sec

The numbers are not exactly the same as the below, but that is probably
down to rounding error. They pass the close enough rule though:) Any way
you look at it, if run a two tests over the same time period and one
does less transactions then the other you will have different
transactions rates(tps) You where asking about the why behind the
different tps rates, the answer is above. In other words you cannot
ignore the raw numbers for the transactions.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com