Re: Is there a meaningful benchmark? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Williamson
Subject Re: Is there a meaningful benchmark?
Date
List pgsql-general
Dann Corbit wrote:

> Here is another interesting benchmark with a particular user's
> application:
> http://blog.page2rss.com/2007/01/postgresql-vs-mysql-performance.html
>
> P.S.
> Oracle won't let you publish any benchmark numbers.
> So if you find an Oracle comparison, it's "unauthorized"

True enough. That said I feel comfortable in revealing that a former employer of mine ran some serious tests of
PostgreSQL vs Oracle (with an emphasis of postGIS and Oracle's equivalent) about a year and a half ago.

Oracle was consistently 5-15% faster depending on the precise benchmark. This was judged to be not worth the extra
moneyfor more Oracle licenses. In some other environments that edge might be worth the money. Oracle does spend
resourceson its products and so I don't find the speed difference surprising. But when you consider the speed with
whichOracle produces patches vs. the Postgres folks the winner is clearly the latter.

Greg Williamson