8.4 to 9.2 migration performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Harkaway
Subject 8.4 to 9.2 migration performance
Date
List pgsql-performance

I am migrating a Postgres 8.4 installation on a dedicated server to Postgres 9.2 running on a Virtual Machine. A sample query that run in 10 minutes on the 8.4 installation take 40 minutes on the 9.2 installation.

Current Server, Postgres 8.4

·         6-core, 3GHz AMD system

·         12GB of RAM

·         4 SATA drive RAID-1 storage

·         Mandriva OS

·         SQL encoding and ‘C’ collation

Virtual Machine, Postgres 9.2 ( two different systems)

·         4-core,  3Ghz Intel system

·         12GB or RAM

·         SAS storage on one, and 4-SATA drive RAID-10 system on second

·         CentOS 6.3 OS

·         UTF-8 encoding, and I have tried both ‘C’ and en_US collation

The first VM is at a local Data Center and the second in on a dedicated server in my office. Both give similar results.

The data, indexes and constraints have all been successfully migrated to the new system.

I have tuned the VM systems using pgtune with no significant before and after difference.

The ‘explain’ output for the query is very different between the two systems.

It seems like I am missing some simple step for there to be such a huge performance difference.

Any suggestions on what else to text/check would be very much appreciated.

Tom