Re: Preliminary patch for FRONTEND - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Preliminary patch for FRONTEND
Date
List pgsql-patches
> The following patch addresses this issue by making libpgport usable
> unchanged by client applications, and makes a special server version for
> the backend.

This raises some alarm bells for me.  Why does a "port support" library
need to distinguish whether it is running in frontend or backend?
Certainly the standard Unix library calls that it is purporting to
replace do not care.

Also, the patch does both more and less than I'd expect from your
description.  Why are there no changes at all to C code?  And how can
you just remove, eg, dirmod.c and exec.c from pg_resetxlog?

            regards, tom lane