postgresql93-odbc RPM for x32 and x64 - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-yum

From Nico
Subject postgresql93-odbc RPM for x32 and x64
Date
Re: postgresql93-odbc RPM for x32 and x64  (Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org>)
List pgsql-pkg-yum
Hello,

This is about postgresql93-odbc packaging (latest version: 09.03.0300).
I've searched on the Internet but I think I am still missing the good
keywords, as I did not see any satisfying topics. Please disregard this
email if this is a common question, and accept my apologies.

I've noticed the following points:

* x32 and x64 RPMs are installing /usr/pgsql-9.3/lib/psqlodbcw.so (and
other files) at the very same place.
* x32 and x64 RPMs are not conflicting: I was able to install x64 RPM
and then x32 RPM on a x64 computer.
* Even if the installation is done with no error, the latest RPM
installed (x32 in my example), does not overwrite the previous RPM's
files (x64 in my example, and probably a RPM feature).

Questions:
* Is it an issue or is it done on purpose? Could you tell me more if it
is on purpose? I'd like to understand why.
* Are both ODBC really conflicting if an application requires a x32 one,
and another a x64 one?
* Is it possible to install x64 libs in another folder (e.g.
/usr/pgsql-9.3/lib64/psqlodbcw.so) without breaking compatibility? I
used %{pginstdir}/%{_libdir} instead of %{pginstdir}/lib in the SPEC.
* Do you think x32 and x64 RPM versions, using the same location for
their files, should conflict?

Best regards,
-- Nicolas DEY