Re: [RFC] Incremental backup v2: add backup profile to base backup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: [RFC] Incremental backup v2: add backup profile to base backup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/06/2014 07:00 PM, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> Hello,

>> :
>
>> I agree that a full backup does not need to include a profile.
>>
>> I've added the option to require the profile even for a full backup, as
>> it can be useful for backup softwares. We could remove the option and
>> build the profile only during incremental backups, if required. However,
>> I would avoid the needing to scan the whole backup to know the size of
>> the recovered data directory, hence the backup profile.
>
> I really like this approach.
>
> I think we should leave users the ability to ship a profile file even in
> case of full backup (by default disabled).

I don't see the point of making the profile optional. Why burden the
user with that decision? I'm not convinced we need it at all, but if
we're going to have a profile file, it should always be included.

- Heikki