Re: proposal: rounding up time value less than its unit. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: proposal: rounding up time value less than its unit.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 09/23/2014 10:29 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Three people have voted for making it an *error* to supply a value
>> that needs to be rounded, instead of changing the rounding behavior.
> Votes or no votes, that's a horrible idea; it breaks the design goal
> that users shouldn't need to remember the precise unit size when making
> postgresql.conf entries.
>
> And I'm not sure what votes you're counting, anyway.  People's opinions
> have changed as the discussion proceeded ...

I don't think I've weighed in on this, and yes, I'm very late to the
party. The "round away from zero" suggestion seemed the simplest and
most easily understood rule to me.

As Tom, I think, remarked, if that seems silly because 1 second gets
rounded up to 1 hour or whatever, then we've chosen the wrong units in
the first place.

cheers

andrew