Re: PostGIS packages should not remove older libs - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-yum

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: PostGIS packages should not remove older libs
Date
List pgsql-pkg-yum
On 09/21/2014 12:49 PM, Jeff Frost wrote:

>> On Sep 21, 2014, at 12:40, Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:
>>
>> Can you please clarify this for me? Do you mean that we should keep .so
>> files of 2.1.3 , when someone upgrades to 2.1.4?
>
> I think he means when going from 2.0 to 2.1.

Correct.  The postgis-#.#.so libraries are designed to be present
side-by-side so that users can do an online upgrade.  But if
postgis-2.0.so gets deleted as soon as 2.1 is installed, then an online
upgrade isn't possible.

It also messes with replication to have the 2.0 library deleted, should
you upgrade the replica before the master, as is common.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.